Skip to main content

Mother Teresa

After my M.A. examination in 1970, along with a priest-friends of mine form the college, I went to Calcutta with the desire of seeing Mother Teresa and knowing more about her work.We stayed at St.Xavier's college,Calcutta and fro there went to see Mother teresa's lace.We were disappointed when we found out that she was not there.But we spent time with the sisters there and visited the places where the infants and the dying people were nursed and cared for.We some to some of the sisters. There was only one foreign-born sister and she was form Germany. She was young sister and we asked her how she joined the Congregation.She then narrated her story.She came as a visitorfor the Eucharistic Congress in Bombay and at one of the receptions given by the Bombay Archdiocese, she was sitting opposite to Mother Teresa.She noticed that Mother was looking at her specially at the time of the meal.After the meal was over, she walked over to Mother Teresa and inquired why she was looking at her. The Mother replied that she would give her a saree if she would join her group. She went back to Germany but then could not remain there.She felt the pull of Mother Teresa's words and she returned to Calcutta to join her Congregation.
I was really elated when one day after breakfast, one of the priests who was the Director of Communications for the Diocese mentioned that Mother Teresa would be coming to St.Matthew's Cathedral.
At 11 a.m., she came to the Cathedral, accompanied by Archbishop Hickey. Some of the Spanish Catholics who heard about her arrival were waiting at the steps of the Cathedral to greet her.they sang songs as she walked up the steps to the Cathedral.
After spending some time in prayer, she walked around the Cathedral. I had some pictures taken with her with the Archbishop.When I told her that I was from Changanacherry, she right away mentioned that she had no convent in Changanacherry.
I felt really happy when I got a chance to see and meet her at St.Matthew's Cathedral.


Popular posts from this blog

The People I met in the U.S.-1

Dr.MisenheimerDr.Misenheimer was the Head of the Dept. of English,Indiana State University.He had more than 60 professors in the Dept.It was one of the largest Depts. of English that I had seen. He invited us to his house on different occasions and I had a very good relationship with him.He in fact urged me to remain in Indiana to watch the beauty of the Fall season.He was gracious enough to grant me assistantship and because of that I was able to teach two courses in English while taking my graduate courses.I was also enjoying the privileges of the faculty as I had my own room in the Dept. I still remember seeing his large library at home where he received and entertained us. Dr.Weixelmann I worked with Dr.Weixelman in different ways.He was the Editor of the Black American Literature forum and I was appointed the Assistant Editor to work with him.I did some of the editorial work for the magazine with him.I also took independent reading lessons in Hemingway with him.His room is opposite…

American Experience,1976-81

American Experience(1976-81)Frs. Jose Alencherry,Ettoly and Matthew Muthuplackal were at the Kennedy airport to receive me. I went with Fr.Ettolil and spent a couple of days with him at his parish. The New Year was spent with him.I saw the New Year parish dance and felt out of place in such a celebration as it was too early for me to get into the spirit of the celebration. Everything was to new to me. It was my first introduction to an American way of life. Fr. Jose Alencherry also took me to his place at Ossining and later they dropped me at the Kennedyairport .There was a two hour flight to Indianapolis and from there a forty five minutes ride to Terre haute by a small commuter plane. I have never ridden a commuter plane with around25 passengers or around that number. I was telling myself what a fool I was after traveling so far and thento end everything by traveling by this small aircraft! I thought it would break down and fall at any moment as it was going up and down and moving si…

Terre Haute, Indiana(1976-78)

My first years in the United States were spent at St.Anne's church, Terre Haute, Indiana. I left  India on Dec.26,1976 and reached the Kennedy aiport on Dec.28.Fr.Muthuplakal, Fr.Jose Alencherry and Fr. Thomas Ettoly were at the airport to recieve me.After spending three days in New York , I left for Indianapolis airport and from there by a small commuter plane to Terre Haute, Indiana.
The Pastor Don was there at the airport and hecalled me by name and we left the airport for the church.thus began my days in he States. After a few days, he took me to the University to register for the new semster. I was introduced the the Sunday after to the Congregation.I met the Sisters who were teaching at t he School there and from the first day onwards , I began to say masses at the church. I would say masses daily eithr in t he morning or in the evening.The people of St.Anne's were very freindly and nice to me and in enjoyed my stay there.There were a few families who were very friendly a…