Skip to main content

People I met in the U.S.--Msgr.Louis Qinn

Msgr.Louis Quinn of St.Matthew's Cathedral
As I was finishing up my first year Catholic University, I was looking for a parish to work during the summer as the dorm where I stayed would be closed for the holidays.It was one of the Malaylee families that suggested to me to contact St.Matthew's Cathedral.One day, I called for the Pastor and talked to him expressing my desire to wrk there for the coming summer if there was a possibility.He graciously invited me for dinner .I accepted the invitation and went there one evening.I was totally surprised in seeing more than eight priests, all clerically dressed for the dinner.When they heard that I was doing my Ph.D. in English, one of them asked me about a recent novel that became a hit--The Thorn Birds. Fortunately, I read the novel while I was in New York , the previous summer. I saw people reading the novel in the subways and at various reception counters.I thought then of reading f the book , even though I had heard about the book in one of my classes for M.A. at the Indiana state University. One of the students gave a copy of the book to one of the Professors, telling him to read it as it was very interesting.Then, I did not think of reading it.
My discussion of the theme of the book opened the hearts of all very favorably towards me. Then the Pastor invited me to watch the TV along with them for a few more minutes and told me that they would be happy to have me right away and that I could stay there not only during the summer but until the end of my studies. But,I had to finish six more months at the dorm as I signed up as a Campus minister for a year at C.U.
The stay at St.Matthew's opened a whole new world for me.It gave me the chance of meeting some of the greatest Catholics and leaders of the world.
Msgr.Lou Quinn was a perfect gentleman. He was a great conversationalist at the dining table.He was the only one one always talking at table and he was very smooth and gracious. During all the three years I was there, there arose no controversies or disputes.All were treated very cordially.
Even after I left St.Matthew's Cathedral, he was very regular in writing to me every Christmas and sending me mass intentions. It has been a few moths since he passed away.Even the Christmas before, he sent me a Christmas card , with his special notes , giving an update of his activities.He is someone I can never forget in my life.May his soul rest in peace.


Popular posts from this blog

The People I met in the U.S.-1

Dr.MisenheimerDr.Misenheimer was the Head of the Dept. of English,Indiana State University.He had more than 60 professors in the Dept.It was one of the largest Depts. of English that I had seen. He invited us to his house on different occasions and I had a very good relationship with him.He in fact urged me to remain in Indiana to watch the beauty of the Fall season.He was gracious enough to grant me assistantship and because of that I was able to teach two courses in English while taking my graduate courses.I was also enjoying the privileges of the faculty as I had my own room in the Dept. I still remember seeing his large library at home where he received and entertained us. Dr.Weixelmann I worked with Dr.Weixelman in different ways.He was the Editor of the Black American Literature forum and I was appointed the Assistant Editor to work with him.I did some of the editorial work for the magazine with him.I also took independent reading lessons in Hemingway with him.His room is opposite…

American Experience,1976-81

American Experience(1976-81)Frs. Jose Alencherry,Ettoly and Matthew Muthuplackal were at the Kennedy airport to receive me. I went with Fr.Ettolil and spent a couple of days with him at his parish. The New Year was spent with him.I saw the New Year parish dance and felt out of place in such a celebration as it was too early for me to get into the spirit of the celebration. Everything was to new to me. It was my first introduction to an American way of life. Fr. Jose Alencherry also took me to his place at Ossining and later they dropped me at the Kennedyairport .There was a two hour flight to Indianapolis and from there a forty five minutes ride to Terre haute by a small commuter plane. I have never ridden a commuter plane with around25 passengers or around that number. I was telling myself what a fool I was after traveling so far and thento end everything by traveling by this small aircraft! I thought it would break down and fall at any moment as it was going up and down and moving si…

Terre Haute, Indiana(1976-78)

My first years in the United States were spent at St.Anne's church, Terre Haute, Indiana. I left  India on Dec.26,1976 and reached the Kennedy aiport on Dec.28.Fr.Muthuplakal, Fr.Jose Alencherry and Fr. Thomas Ettoly were at the airport to recieve me.After spending three days in New York , I left for Indianapolis airport and from there by a small commuter plane to Terre Haute, Indiana.
The Pastor Don was there at the airport and hecalled me by name and we left the airport for the church.thus began my days in he States. After a few days, he took me to the University to register for the new semster. I was introduced the the Sunday after to the Congregation.I met the Sisters who were teaching at t he School there and from the first day onwards , I began to say masses at the church. I would say masses daily eithr in t he morning or in the evening.The people of St.Anne's were very freindly and nice to me and in enjoyed my stay there.There were a few families who were very friendly a…